This dessert is one of our favorite, we love pearl tapioca, any dessert that has pearl tapioca, is guarantee we'll love it! Have you tried the drink that called 'Boba Drink'? Is basically ice milk tea with different kinds of flavor or a smoothy that have pearl tapioca in it.
Is really popular right know, in fact, In Socal almost every corner they have this so called 'Boba Cafe' and this drink is one of our favorite drink too. (Yes, is because it has pearl tapioca in it...)
Well, this is nothing like that 'Boba drink', this is a dessert, which is better, don't you think?! It's sweet creamy delicious pudding with little pearl tapioca and fresh young coconut in it and it's so delightful. You'll be wanting for more. This is a popular summertime dessert, but in my family, we have this in every season. Hot or cold I love to serve this to my family.
And if you like to try it, this the recipe:
- 1/2 cup small pearl tapioca get it here! or any Oriental market.
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk get it here! or you can get it in any Oriental Market.
- 2 cups coconut water get it here! or you can get the water from the fresh coconut.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh young coconut meat (shaved) You can crack open a young coconut or you can use this young fresh coconut meat in a can you can get this at any Oriental market. ( you just need the meat, not the water)
- Unsweetened shaved coconut for garnish
- Pinch of cinnamon- optional
In a saucepan over medium-high heat put tapioca, coconut milk, milk and coconut water and salt to a boil, stirring constantly, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar until dissolved.
beat the eggs in a bowl until smooth very slowly whisk in the hot tapioca mixture little by little, to prevent the eggs from curdling, then put the egg mixture into the simmering pudding, throw the fresh young coconut meat. Reduce heat and stir for several minutes until the tapioca reaches a nice thick pudding, then remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes before stirring in the vanilla extract. Put in refrigerator and served chilled.
Direction for coconut toast
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Spread coconut in a single layer rimmed baking sheet, sprinkle with sugar
Tossing twice until golden. And let it cool.
Just before serving whisk pudding to loosen and sprinkle the cinnamon on top and put the coconut toast. Serve 4 cups